The first Pallas was a 36 gun fifth rate launched at Deptford in 1757 and run aground in 1783.
The H.M.S. Pallas was a 5th Rate ship (36 guns, 728 tons) launched at Deptford in 1757, the flagship of a new class of frigates designed for speed and maneuverability. This new class was designed by Thomas Slade, who had been appointed Surveyor of the Navy in the early 1750s, and was built to counter a perceived superiority in French cruiser design. The Pallas had a twentry six year career, initially patrolling the French and English coasts and the Mediterranean. Between 1774-77, she made a series of voyages to the coast of West Africa in order to survey and report on the forts and factories then under British control. During this period, the second lieutenant was Gabriel Bray (1750-1823), an amateur artist who made numerous watercolor drawings of daily life on the Pallas, her crew members, and many of the places they visited. In 1783, returning from Halifax, Nova Scotia to England, the Pallas developed several leaks that grew increasingly worse when heavy seas were encountered. She was eventually run ashore on the island of São Jorge in the Azores where it was discovered that her keel and garboards were worm eaten beyond repair. The commander at that time, Captain Christopher Parker, ordered the Pallas to be burned.